I’m back to my blog! I took a little hiatus because … well … I felt like it! I promised myself that the moment updating this blog turned into a chore instead of a pleasure, I would take a break. The perfectionist in me wanted to keep posting. But the voice of reason won out. And I’m glad it did because now I actually want to post again.
If I were to sum up the last few weeks, it would go something like this:
1. My grandfather has been unwell and that has been a constant source of stress. He just turned 97 and I’m so sorry that he had to do it in a hospital bed. He had a pace maker put in and at first it seemed that he was responding well. And then it didn’t. And then it did. And then it didn’t. Every day seems to be quite different. I’m so glad that just a few days before it all happened we were all able to sit down to a big family dinner together. It was evident that something was wrong with him that night. But even still, it was nice to all be together.
I hate winter with a passion! I hate it. I hate it. I hate it! No wait. Let me be more positive. I am soooooo looking forward to Spring : )
3. I have this thing where I’ve been (extra) obsessed with thrifting textiles … blankets, pillows, rugs. If it’s washable and I like it, I get it and somehow find a spot for it in my little apartment. I think it makes me feel cozier in here while winter just rages on and on outside.
4. I started gardening in my living room! I miss my old garden in Delaware. It was huge and I grew absolutely everything in it. I get so much light in my living room that I figured I would try my hand at indoor gardening with some lettuces and kale. So far, so good! I love walking into my living room with a colander and picking my lunch : )
5. I stopped eating sugar. And I’m dying. And it’s only been one day, lol. If you’ve never tried a sugar detox diet, let me tell you … it’s no joke. And I don’t even eat that much sugar. Yet somehow, the second I take away my daily chocolate fix my body starts SCREAMING. I’ve done this many, many times … so I know exactly how things will go. The first three days HURT. But within a week, I won’t want sugar anymore. Within a month, my tastebuds will be reset and things that used to taste mildly sweet will be sickeningly sweet. And then that’s usually the point where I start getting sloppy again and let sugar creep back into my life. My body puts on weight fast — but for the life of me, I can’t lose it. I mean … truly … can’t. It’s maddening since I eat a healthy diet with no processed food, no refined sugars, lots of filtered water, and tons of exercise. What that tells me is that my body is not functioning properly and in the back of my mind, I know that sugar doesn’t help my body in any way, so therefore, it has to go permanently. So, if you see me anytime soon … please be kind. I may want to punch you in your face … but know that in a few more days, I’ll be nice again : )
6. I’m trying to find new ways to “reward” myself rather than doing it with sweets. However, the problem is that shopping is my other go-to reward. It’s a good thing I like to thrift … but even still, dollars add up. Any suggestions?
So, that’s about it. I’m off to go research ways to beat sugar cravings. Or maybe punch someone in the face. We’ll see which one happens first. But I’ll be sure to share any good suggestions I find here … so stay tuned!